Thursday, September 29, 2011

[JimsJobs] (Article) Career Tips: What’s Your Superpower?

 

Last month's article "Are You A Linchpin?" was inspired by the outstanding branding / marketing expert Seth Godin's book, Linchpin. Towards the end, he asks, "What's Your Superpower?"

As I noted in last month's article, "The most successful are the Career Search Linchpins who figure out ways to distinguish themselves from everyone else and truly master niche marketing. Instead of worrying about their competition, they focus on what makes them unique to stand out in the crowd."

This comes down to figuring out your superpower.


Seth drew the analogy to comic books, where the lesser known superheroes would always introduce themselves by describing their superpowers. This made them memorable.

So how do you introduce yourself to networking contacts, hiring managers, and executives at your company? Do you present your superpowers? Do you even know what they are?

When you present a title, like "I'm a project manager" or "I'm a pricing actuary", you aren't presenting a superpower. You're just telling me what slot to place you in
, along with all of the other people who are in that same slot. You're making me less interested in even hearing about your superpower, and 'tainting' it by whatever baggage I attach in my own mind to your opening statement. ("Project managers are too process oriented." "Actuaries are boring and can't communicate.")

When you tell me "I can work in many industries", "I can do lots of things", or "I have transferable skills", any superpower you might have presented begins to decay. You are avoiding the laser-like focus that generates true engagement and raises your profile in your stated niche.

What is a superpower?

If you would like the complete article, just drop me a note at John@JHACareers.com, or you can visit my website to check out the contents of past issues and selected articles at www.JHACareers.com/Newsletter.htm

Other topics I covered in this most recent issue include:

  • A list of potential metrics to consider for Career Search KPI's.
  • Upcoming events in NJ and CA
  • Advice to someone frustrated with the lack of response to on-line applications.

    John
    ___________________________________________________
    John West Hadley  Career Search Counselor  (908) 725-2437

    "Land The Job And Pay You Deserve"

    Get 100's of Career Tips at www.JHACareers.com
  • __._,_.___
    Recent Activity:
    MARKETPLACE

    Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

    .

    __,_._,___